Originally Posted by LaurieBeth
If it really is something like dyslexia, I wouldn't even know where to begin with getting that tested. I would need someone who really knows "profoundly" (exceptionally, highly, whatever) gifted kids, right? That is what the psychologist we used was, but she didn't mention anything about dyslexia.

LaurieBeth, I have a HG+ dd who has a reading challenge that was far from obvious and took several years to figure out. The standard tests that pyschologists use (for standard evals) don't necessarily pick up on reading challenges, especially if it's not conventional dyslexia. We were able to get to the nuts-and-bolts of dd's reading challenge through an evaluation by a Speech Language Pathologist who specializes in working with dyslexic children and other types of reading/writing challenges. I can post the list of tests that dd was given here if you're interested - I'll have to look them up because I don't remember the names of all of them, but the key was each test looked at very specific skills relating to reading (and there are a *ton* of different skills). The one test I remember the name of is the Gray Oral Reading test... but there were at least 4 other tests dd was given too.

Best wishes,

polarbear