* The psychologist mentioned orally that DD#2's eyes "opened really wide" when she saw the cancellation test. An anecdote that may mean nothing at all.

* What you're saying about dyslexia, aeh, is exactly what I've been thinking. How much of her reading is really sight reading? She can sound words out, but with new words / names or less familiar words, she often skips a syllable the first time she says it. Of course, EVERYONE thinks I'm crazy for even thinking about it, with a child who can read so very well, loves reading, and can spell fairly well (does that matter? she is one of those people who spells better after she looks at what she's written or pretended to write - spelling by sight check, in other words, which I know is a different skill). If it really is something like dyslexia, I wouldn't even know where to begin with getting that tested. I would need someone who really knows "profoundly" (exceptionally, highly, whatever) gifted kids, right? That is what the psychologist we used was, but she didn't mention anything about dyslexia. I do have a friend whose son, a strong reader, was diagnosed with stealth dyslexia, but he had problems with spelling and I think more problems with handwriting than DD#2 has. What other things related to dyslexia would we likely have noticed?