Originally Posted by LaurieBeth
What you're saying about dyslexia, aeh, is exactly what I've been thinking. How much of her reading is really sight reading? .... What other things related to dyslexia would we likely have noticed

With your daughter's verbal skills + memory, and the amount of reading she does, dyslexia could be very hard to see. As aeh describes, you'd want very specific testing that dives deep into the underlying phonological processing skills, because she can fake the surface output extremely well. My daughter (for comparison, MG and average memory), was still 88th percentile in terms of phonological awareness, but her scores dropped dramatically as the phonemic manipulation tasks got more complex.

In terms of what you can see yourself, there are a few things I can think of you may see when she reads aloud, though none definitive when a child reads as much as yours. Does she tend to do things like miss suffixes, or skip small connecting words? Substitute plausible but wrong words that may the same first letter or shape? Resist reading out loud? Dyslexics tend to scan for the big meaningful words to extract the gist of the the text, while skipping over the bits in between. It means verbally-gifted dyslexics counter-intuitively tend to do better with longer, more complicated text than short snappy bits that provide less context.

With respect to hand-writing issues, note that dysgraphia and dyslexia frequently go hand in hand, but not always. A lot of the archetypical "dyslexia" signs, like reversed letters and handwriting issues, actually relate more to dysgraphia.