Originally Posted by eco21268
They do say, when you're applying, that "good organizational skills are a must." I just kind of blew that off, because I had no idea DS would have THIS much trouble. He was always disorganized in elementary
This may be an early warning sign that the program is not a good "fit" OR it may be seen as an opportunity to ramp up in-school scaffolding, remediation, and accommodations, to provide the best possible ingrained, repetitive routine in school and at home so your son learns the various steps he needs to take to be organized.

Even though he struggled all year last year, his state scores were all advanced and his lexile score increased to 1600. So at least I know he is still progressing.
The lexile score sounds great. smile Here he can find-a-book in his lexile level, and download a free summer reading log.

Sounds like he is progressing academically and may wish to focus on EF skills? Many people find that executive function skills, not pure academic progress, tend to be the make-or-break skills for one's future.

friend (highly gifted, several other Es) has way more accommodations in his 504. Things that our 504 coordinator told me DS couldn't possibly have--like an extra set of books at home.
In general an extra set of books at home may be a common accommodation. This may depend on the child, the learning environment, the expectations as to the child's level of functioning, and what other supports are in place.

Was the lack of books at home a significant contributing factor to your son's difficulties?

In general, parents are wise to study the free advocacy information available (such as the links in another post upthread) and become familiar with what is commonly put in place to help a child with similar difficulties as compared with their child. This prepares them to confidently advocate for what their child needs, being familiar with the sources upon which they base their position.

If your son is interested in the process, you may wish to do some of your research into accommodations together. This may also help ensure you are on the same page in advocating.

Regardless of the learning environment he is in next year, there is a strong likelihood that there is more advocacy in your future... and his. You may wish to help him prepare for self-advocacy.