Originally Posted by eco21268
DS says he is on board to try to finish up the year with some effort.
This is great news. smile

I can't communicate effectively with some of his teachers. I ask very direct questions and just don't succeed.
Would you mind some advocacy feedback on the examples of direct questions which you provided? Several of the communication exchanges do not seem to be framed in the context of the 504, and seem to skate into other issues.

Can you update me on his grade?
If there is something on the 504 specifying parameters for teachers reporting grades, the means for doing so, the timing, etc, then you may wish to reference that. It is my understanding that elsewhere in your post you mention that the 504 says the teacher will post assignment instructions/requirements in the online grade book, or in the student's planner? 'not listed in grade book or planner which is on 504' If this is the correct understanding, then one approach might be: "I'm checking in on his grades. As outlined on the 504, there is to be notice of overdue assignments, and all assignments are to be listed in the online gradebook. I do not see any overdue assignments, or assignments due this week posted in the online gradebook. Is this correct?"

How is he behaving?
If there is something in the 504 about providing behavioral supports, then you may wish to frame your inquiry in that context.

He’s having panic attacks to add to the fun and had to leave yesterday.
Some may say that the phrase "to add to the fun" may not work in your favor. Sharing the information that he requested being picked up early from school yesterday may not be relevant to a discussion of 504 items which this teacher is accountable for.

I’ll help him if I know what he’s supposed to be doing.
Schools may cringe at a parent helping a teen with schoolwork... unless there is specifically something in a 504 about the school supporting the parent for scaffolding at home. On the other hand, if the 504 has something about informing the parent/student as to what the student should be doing for homework/projects/assignments, then you may wish to refer to what the 504 says. For example, you might make a friendly reminder to the teacher: "I know it's a busy time of the year, but would you take a moment to make sure the assignment instructions/requirements are posted to the online grade book, as outlined in the 504?"

He didn't bother telling me that DS did not have the project completed
Does the 504 stipulate the teacher communicating when an assignment/project is overdue? If so, does it specify directly reporting to the parent? Or possibly noting it in the online gradebook? Within what timeframe?

Me (cutting my losses): Can he bring them home and are there instructions somewhere?
Once again, you may wish to refer to the 504, for example: "Are the requirements posted in the online gradebook, as required by the 504?" Referring to the 504 may be the only way to cut your losses; the 504 may be your only defensible position. Any other information which you may seek, or any other role which you may take, may be considered as overstepping bounds.

Teacher:They are both powerpoints so he can work on it anywhere and he should have the instructions for the first and the second is an open ended project and he knows the expectations for it.
Same as before, you may wish to ask: "Are the requirements posted in the online gradebook, as required by the 504?"

Me: He doesn't have instructions for either--I'd like to make sure he follows instructions, he's bad at remembering.
Or simply ask: "Are the requirements posted in the online gradebook, as required by the 504?"

Teacher: I gave him a note with the requirments on it again.
One possible reply to this might be: "Because of his disability, the 504 specifies that assignment requirements be posted online and/or in the student planner; As much as I appreciate your effort in writing a separate note, unfortunately a separate note does not suffice."

Advocacy relies on a clear division of labor for teachers/schools, students, parents. Advocacy works best when all are focused on crafting a plan then following that plan, to best meet the student's needs for accessing his/her education. This is facilitated by focusing on facts with an avoidance of emotion and side stories. As warned on the Wrightslaw webpage for Crisis Management, Step-by-Step, schools may deem a parent unstable if emotional.