manifests in his having a very difficult time managing constructive criticism and instruction

Have you heard the same concerns from either his hockey coaches or his teachers? If you haven't, I wonder if part of the reaction you're receiving isn't due simply to the advice coming from his parents. I also wonder (this is probably a very naive question so feel free to say, um, pb, you're nuts!).. but why do you expect it to be embarrassing for him to be in the wrong starting position? I'm not a hockey parent, so I can't speak specifically to hockey, but my kids have participated in quite a few sports, from dyspraxic ds who's totally *not* an athlete and not coordinated, to my ds who is a competitive gymnast. There are many times that kids on their teams and in the individual/group sports they participate in don't get things correct or perfect or whatever - some kids repeatedly having the same challenges - but no one gets embarrassed.

I think re the hockey issue with lining up, it's possibly related to his dyspraxia and challenges with direction (at least my ds is still very directionally challenged). If you could figure out some type of touchstone thing that he could always use as a go-by to let him know which way is which for lining up, then have either an understanding teammate or coach give him the hint (*not* his parents), that might give him a tool which will help when he lines up.

Best wishes, and good to hear from you!

polarbear