Originally Posted by Irena
I think this problem is very related to dyspraxia because he very acutely feels his inadequacies, you know? It's hard for a 10 year old boy to have this issue of motor coordination. I can see through his eyes and it looks like this stuff (ball sports, hockey, etc.) just comes so easily to most of these boys around here.

He looks normal, is super intelligent, but can't figure out where he is suppose to position himself in a face-off after TWO years of playing? That's gotta be rough. It's almost like his self-esteem just needs protection.

Have you thought of having your ds try a different sport? I wouldn't give up on the hockey yet if he likes it - but if he's not involved in any other sports I'd look around for something else he likes to do. My ds has always preferred sports that he performs as an individual in, so that a team isn't relying on him - but he's still able to participate in those sports with groups, it's just not a team sport such as soccer or hockey or basketball etc. DS prefers mountain biking (and belongs to a group that bikes) and is on the cross country team in school (anyone who wants to can join and participate - same is true for all of our schools, so meets are huge and somewhat social, plus he gets the benefits of learning how to set goals for himself and sports nutrition etc but it doesn't matter to anyone that he comes in as part of the tail end of runners). I think swimming might be a good sport too for some dyspraxics, but ds had trouble learning how to swim. Skiing is another sport that ds enjoys. Rowing might be another that would work (but we have no rowing here lol!). My older dd enjoys cyclocross, which is relatively new in our area... I think ds would like it too, but he's been too busy to try it out yet.

Anyway, just some random thoughts - finding a sport to add in where you can enjoy it as a family and take away the stress of having to feel like ds needs to be corrected might be good for your ds - confidence building for him, more fun for the rest of the family smile

polarbear