Originally Posted by ultramarina
Trust me, there are oodles of higher-level music opportunities in the area in question. If talented kids want opportunities, they have them.

That's how I kind of feel. I bet that area has a very competitive youth orchestra or two.

As for Suzuki method, unfortunately, it has become a tool for resume building for preschool admission that would get you into the right private K-12 school that sends dozens of kids into HYPS.

I've mentioned this before but I don't know any kids who got into HYPS because of musical accomplishments. I mean, I suppose if your child wins a major international competition or is giving concerns around the world, that's one thing but otherwise, I don't think it can really tip the scale. Sport, on the other hand, can be a huge factor. If you truly want your child to get into an ivy, instead of doing Suzuki violin, they should try out for as many sports as they can and hire a private coach or two. Some families pay $3000 a month to their tennis, golf, or whatever else coach PER child not because they believe their child has the potential to turn pro but because they know how to play the college admission game.

It's insanity.