Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by ultramarina
No objection here at all to multiple levels. I think that's great. The district in question has multiple levels, and performance requirements were in place for the lowest level.

Then I'm confused; what's the right to squeak thing all about? Can't the students just squeak at the lowest level? That seems completely reasonable to me.

My impression from reading the original article was that the "right to squeak" clause was applicable for kids in 4th and 5th grade and prevented those that were not playing instruments already from being dropped out of orchestra. And the program did not have multiple levels in elementary schools. Asian parents (many of whom might have kids who started Suzuki string lessons at age 3 or 4) were asking for "ability based grouping" in orchestra in the elementary schools.

I googled this topic and I found some interesting commentary on another site:
http://nypost.com/2015/12/29/from-nyc-to-harvard-the-war-on-asian-success/
Excerpts:
"Aderhold canceled accelerated and enriched math courses for fourth and fifth grades, which were 90 percent Asian ...

Using a word that already strikes terror in the hearts of Asian parents, he said schools had to take a “holistic” approach. That’s the same euphemism Harvard uses to limit the number of Asians accepted and favor non-Asians.

Aderhold even lowered standards for playing in school music programs. Students have a “right to squeak,” he insisted. Never mind whether they practice.

Of course, neither Aderhold nor parents in charge of sports are indulging nonathletic kids with a “right to fumble” and join a mostly non-Asian varsity football team."