Originally Posted by bluemagic
I can see where the superintendent is coming from. Something tells me there is a happy medium here. We can go from requiring all kids to try out to not having any place for the advanced kids to shine.

My district has an excellent music program. All kids are required to take music (band, orchestra, choir) in 4-6th grades. And in these grades there is usually only one ensemble but the more advanced kids might have a solo. And there is district honors & state honors programs which many of the top kids make. In higher grades there are levels of band/orchestra/choir. Everyone who is in band/orchestra/choir get to perform at all concerts. Band takes in anyone who wants even if they have never played an instrument before (even in H.S.). But you do have to try out to get first chair, or into the higher level band.

Our district is somewhat similar. The first two years of ensemble music, there is just one orchestra and one band for everyone. Advanced kids often either pick up another instrument, or go to an ensemble outside of school. In later grades there are multiple ensembles catering to students at different levels. But within each ensemble, all kids can play all pieces (unless one's instrument is not needed in a piece, of course).

Private lessons and early start definitely give a kid an advantage. It's the same with parents who read to their babies, find "academically oriented" preschools, help with homework, get private tutors, or send kids to Philips Exeter instead of the public high school down the street.

Last edited by playandlearn; 01/08/16 11:25 AM.