Regarding it not being the school's job, etc--I disagree. Someone has to do something here, and it isn't going to be parents, generally speaking, because parents are deeply invested in their particular child making it even when they recognize the system is sick. One possible action that came up for this school system was strictly limiting the # of AP classes a student may take. It's an example of something schools could do, and these districts would be a great place to do it. I feel the same about the no-homework nights--there should be more. Another idea would be disallowing major projects over breaks. I'm sure we could come up with other ideas quite easily, though really the kids would know best. The change has to come first in the districts where things are the most competitive and everyone is going to Ivies, etc--like this one. Someone has to step out of the ring, and I think that's what's being attempted here. I don't know, again, if it is being done correctly. But the effort to do it at all is heartening to me. This is not about gifted programming, IMO.

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/05/16 07:29 PM.