Originally Posted by aquinas
Originally Posted by ultramarina
Yes, but...college admissions. Limiting the number of AP classes will put the students at a disadvantage compared to students from all the other schools that don't limit AP classes. Admissions committees use industrial metrics to judge a candidate's fitness, and the formula includes the number of AP or other "rigorous" courses.

I know, about admissions. But if more than a few high-profile, super-competitive high schools started limiting, then the metric would start to fall apart. Of course, you might be right that it would then be gamed a different way.

I have been finding this story fascinating because that district came to "this" so much earlier (trust me) and now, IMO, they are seeing the madness of "this" earlier, too. Of course, not everyone agrees.

It's a prisoners' dilemma. Unless mutual non-escalation can be externally and effectively enforced, competition at all costs will persist because it's incentive compatible.
It's not a zero sum game. People are going to compete for college admissions seats in some way. Why is doing so by taking more Advanced Placement classes worse than striving in extracurriculars (especially sports) or relying on parental connections? Students who do well in lots of AP classes are learning things. They can save themselves and their parents a lot of money if they use their credits to graduate from college in three years. I did.

Most students may not want to take 5 AP classes in one year, but capable students should not be prevented from doing so.