I read the local news coverage on the music program and it's my understanding that ALL students grade 4-8 in ALL musical ensembles (which included large bands and orchestras for all comers as well as smaller auditioned groups) were being asked to audition each piece for each concert. In other words, your child who took up violin 2 months ago and joined general "orchestra" would have to sit out a concert if he/she was not up to snuff. I get the impression this was happening because the general "orchestra" had a lot of high-level players already by grades 4 and 5 due to parents beginning private lessons early, and was largely able to play hard pieces. So, parental pressure and possibly music teacher preference was to sit out the kids who can't keep up. (Let's not let the amateurs "spoil" what the rest of our advanced kids can do...) But tell me, where do those kids go if they or their parents didn't feel like starting Suzuki at 3 and they now want to play in a large group? I may have this wrong. I had to read between the lines somewhat. There was also some discussion of elimination of a chamber music group that I could not quite follow. ETA: Apparently the chamber music practice was moved to after school, causing objections. Also, in the district, all students take choir, orchestra, or band in upper elementary.

Last edited by ultramarina; 01/08/16 10:29 AM.