Originally Posted by Ania
No matter how much you grade skip/accelerate in math, they are still going to top the class if they are PG. My DS was put into Algebra in 5th grade, a class generally reserved for 8/9 graders.

I agree.

In the 2d grade, I did reading with the 6th graders and read all the books pretty quickly and then sat in class reading library books.

In the late 70s, I moved during 7th grade into a school district that tested me when I arrived. They tested me twice. I started the day in PE in Middle school then walked over to the HS for Algebra, Chem, Phsysics, and English with the HS kids. I recall being a terribly shy at first, but once the class started - I felt right at home - totally focused. But even then, I recall that by the 2d week I had read all the textbooks from cover to cover and was getting bored. I started taking library books with me to read - but we moved yet again.

Smart kids need to be challenged or they will not develop to their full potential - developing the capacity for hard work, staying engaged even when bored - the boredom not caused by the subject matter, learning how to advance one's viewpoint, dealing with difficult people - these are learned traits. When a bright kid disengages because its what they have to do to stay sane, then they will live in their own world, making it harder to learn these traits.