My youngest missed the advanced 6th grade LA class by one percentage point (and one actual point) on the MAP Reading. She had the required F&P Level Z.

I wasn't going to fight for placement in an LA class, since I think our middle school LA classes are pretty useless. Yesterday we received an "override" form so that she can be placed in the advanced class. We will fill this out so she'll be in the advanced section - don't know if you have any such options. (I didn't know this was an option, but I have learned that there is stuff like this in our district due to "those parents" - and my youngest has benefited from the work of such parents.)

I really wouldn't worry about middle school LA unless your district offers something special. Our older ones got more out of mom or dad going over their essay with them than the middle school teacher instruction.

I would see if your district has waiver or override forms. We have used them for middle kid (for complex scheduling issues), though at one point the HS tried to force her to sign one for gym class. To make her schedule work with the required 10th grade swimming (yep, cannot defer swimming until 11th), they wanted her in advanced swimming with the swim team members. She is NOT a good swimmer. Made something work with a group one step down from advanced, so not perfect but she didn't drown.

Best of luck, but I wouldn't worry too much.