Originally Posted by polarbear
Cookie,

Fitting in after-schooling is tough. We've only done it in our family when either our child *asked* to do it, or when we had a situation when we needed to do it in order to show that our child was ready for subject acceleration at school. In those instances, we didn't use after schooling so much to learn new things, as to work quickly through a course that could show our child already had a good grasp of the concepts, and to have proof of knowledge through class tests. We also never signed up for an online class that met regularly, only signed up for self-paced courses so that we could work on them as time permitted.

Personally I think our kids need free time and down time outside of school. Getting through school quickly isn't a race, and my kids might not get as far ahead by the end of high school as some of their high ability peers or as far as their own abilities might allow them to, but that's ok. I want them to have a happy childhood too smile BUT - sometimes they want the after schooling, and when they do, that's ok with me.

polarbear

This is my case too...he has a grasp of the material....this is to credential him (high school class) so he can take the next level (maybe also online, maybe in school)...it also is a self paced thing although progress has to be a minimum level each week continuously unless you inform your teacher you will be taking a vacation week but you can go as fast as you want. It is quite possible he could finish it in half the time they predict or less...but that really depends on his other commitments. The third level will absolutely have to be in school.