hen, I'll second spaghetti's advice. I'd also look closely at the differences between the advanced LA and regular LA class that she's slated to go into. Is it truly advanced in terms of what will be studied/learned, or will the class be doing essentially the same work as the regular LA class but with more homework? FWIW in our school district, the main advantage to being in "advanced" language arts/social studies/etc in middle school is being with a higher ability group of students, but there's no real advantage in terms of what is studied or learned. Sometimes (here) it equates into a much larger homework load because the teachers perceive that the higher ability students can handle more work, rather than challenging them to think deeper/more creatively etc.

I'd also dig deeper with your dd to find out what's "boring". It's possible that she could move up into a more challenging class and still be bored. I also would step back from using "bored" as a reason for moving her up when advocating. There are most likely more than a few "bored" teens/tweens at school. You need to advocate with quantifiable evidence that your dd is not being placed appropriately. Look at her homework/classwork/class tests in her current class. Look at state testing if you have that in addition to MAP. Also ask about how classes are grouped in middle school if she's not placed in the advanced LA - is there any other clustering or is it just everyone thrown together?

Best wishes,

polarbear