Originally Posted by PanzerAzelSaturn
At this point what I am getting out of our email correspondence and conversations my sons father has had with the school is that they will be happy to schedule us an IEP meeting after school starts. At first it was 3 weeks in, then 2. When I spoke to a nicer person on the team, she offered me first day of school. I don't want my son starting in the classroom they have assigned. I know that if we have the meeting the first day even if we change the classroom, they don't have to actually put the new plan into effect for 10 days. So we would still be looking at 2 weeks in the program I don't want him in. They say that we can't have an IEP meeting in the summer due to people being on break. Is this true? And if they are on break how is it that I am able to contact them by phone at the admin building?
This is my experience as well. Most of the teacher, psychologist are only paid for the school year and this only includes a few extra days before the school year starts.

As to some of the other things you are requesting. Have you visited a K classroom, do you have a good idea how the program is organized. Not all of these activities are as discrete. Learning phonics and handwriting are often part of the same worksheets and projects. As for being excused from circle time, you need to be able to propose what he does during that time? Is he capable of working quietly and independently? Will they need an aid. I would expect a lot of resistance to this because circle time in K is often the time teachers use to make announcements, give the students and idea of what is going on that day, and have students share with each other.

One request you have is " want him in a reading group with others reading near his level, even if it means out of grade placement for reading." That would mean placement is what grade? Are the older grades on anything like the same schedule? In my district K is only 1/2 time and out of grade placement would be impossible. My son who went into K reading way about grade level was put in the top level reading group, and given enrichment at other times. It wasn't idea but there was one other kid reading at the same level he was and a few others that weren't that far behind.

From what I remember the law is behind you about moving to the regular class. If a parent requests it they MUST put a child is the least restrictive environment. Is there anyway to get him tested again for ASD privately before school starts. Although I'm confused by the organization that says "(ASD subsumes ADHD)". People often wonder if my son is ASD (he is borderline) but not one psychologist has considered my son ADHD or wanted to put him on meds for it. While it's true he can have both they don't always go hand in hand.

Good Luck. What I've found with IEP & 504's is that you come in with a list of what you want and you negotiate. Listen to what they have to say because not all your idea's may be practical. Figure which of these are the most important. I would say from reading you post that what is most important is that he is placed in the regular K program, with accommodations so that he is successful and not disruptive.