Originally Posted by ultramarina
No, of course community college is higher ed. However, I don't think we should consider all CC students who don't get a 4-year degree (and instead receive a certificate or AA) to be failures! That rather goes against this guy's point, does it not?

I consider the fact that so many kids enroll in college intending to get a BA, only to drop out, to be a monumental failure of our education system (and our society at large). This, I believe, was also video guy's point: kids need to know what their options are, many don't, and they drop out (in debt).

You said:

However, it sounded like it said that "2/3 of high school graduates enroll in higher education right after high school" followed by and "only a quarter of those that enroll will finish a bachelor's degree." This is a misleading way to present the facts (for one thing, many of "those who enroll" have no intention of receiving a BACHELOR'S degree) and I am instantly annoyed by anyone who would do it this way. The statistic of about 50-60% of students graduating in 6 years from 4-year colleges is widely known in education circles. To cut this to 25% is dishonest. (He might say "Well, I didn't mean 4-year colleges" but when you say "bachelor's degree"...Say what you mean and be accurate...)

It sounds to me like you were excluding CC students.

If people in education circles quote the 60% figure, they're the ones being dishonest. You can't ignore community college students --- an overwhelming majority of whom, in contrast to your claim, start out intending to get a BA.

This instantly annoys me because I see it as a way of sweeping the truth under the rug, and ignoring inconvenient truths about our education system is something I perceive as being a big problem among educators.