This philosophy has increased college enrollment, resulting in 66 percent of high school graduates
in this country enrolling in higher education right after high school.3
That’s two out of three.
Initially, they are deemed the successful ones. But, what you won’t see advertised is the reality that
most drop out and only a quarter of those that enroll will finish a bachelor’s degree.4

Personally, I find the 50-60% in 6 years stat rather shocking, so why embellish?

Here is what really happens:

--66% of HS graduates OVERALL enroll in some form of higher education
--37% of HS graduates enroll in 4-year colleges. Of those, 60% graduate in 6 years.
--29% of HS graduates enroll in 2-year colleges. Of those, 30% receive a certificate or associate's degree within 150% of the expected time to complete (eg, within 3 year for a 2-year program) Source: https://nces.ed.gov/programs/coe/indicator_cva.asp

The community college stats are fuzzy and dissatisfying by everyone's admission, though (hard to take non-degree-seekers and those who move on to 4-year schools into account).

ETA: Okay, I see that the author is focusing on the value of a bachelor's degree vs others, saying that a 4-year degree is seen as the end-all when not that many students can actually achieve it. I am not opposed to that message necessarily, but present your stats accurately, please. This is still a misleading way to make your point and very bad journalism. It is not the case that only a quarter of those who try to get a BA succeed.