Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
Originally Posted by aeh
My apologies for inserting a serious thought, wink but this video on the value/not of college-for-all is worth viewing (Citrus College, "Success in the New Economy"):

https://vimeo.com/67277269

Didn't want this to get lost here.

It really is worth a look. smile
I disagree. I don't know where Fleming (the video author) gets his numbers, but they look wrong. At 1:18 he says that 2/3 of high school graduates enroll in higher education right after high school, and "only a quarter of those that enroll will finish a bachelor's degree". According to the National Center for Education Statistics, the college graduation rate is much higher for such students:

Question:
What are the graduation rates for students obtaining a bachelor's degree?

Response:
The 2012 graduation rate for first-time, full-time undergraduate students who began their pursuit of a bachelor’s degree at a 4-year degree-granting institution in fall 2006 was 59 percent. That is, 59 percent of first-time, full-time students who began seeking a bachelor’s degree at a 4-year institution in fall 2006 completed the degree at that institution within 6 years. Graduation rates are calculated to meet requirements of the 1990 Student Right to Know Act, which required postsecondary institutions to report the percentage of students that complete their program within 150 percent of the normal time for completion, which is within 6 years for students pursuing a bachelor’s degree. Students who transfer and complete a degree at another institution are not included as completers in these rates.
Around 3:37 Fleming says the ratio of jobs requiring master's, bachelor's, and associate degrees in *all* industries is 1:2:7, and that "it was the same in 1950, the same in 1990, and will be the same in 2030". Someone who opines with such certainty about the future should be laughed at, not listened to.