Originally Posted by gabrielle
I also have major issues with the parents on their philosophy of such early specialization. Is this even permitted by Texas home schooling guidelines?

Texas home schooling guidelines are minimal at best, which is a wonderful blessing. We don't have the government telling us how to educate our children. I know many parents of PG children who unschool and it works great for them. I am just glad that I have the freedom to make that decision. Even if I may not agree with this father's decisions regarding his child's education, I support his right to decide what he thinks is best for his child. The children I know who are studying calculus at a young age crave that mental stimulation. Their parents are usually running behind them trying to keep up as many of us are doing with our children. Other children like this child do exist but most parents are not comfortable displaying their children's abilities for the world to see for reasons previously mentioned. That is one of the reasons the DYS program is so valuable to PG families. It helps PG children find true peers without being on public display.