Originally Posted by bianc850a
I am sure that many of our children would be able to get a 5 in a calculus AP test if we had prepped them since they were three years old towards that goal and they spent their days just doing math. If that boy spends 4-5 hours practicing the piano and even an equal amount of time working on math, he doesn't have the time to develop any other talents.

I strongly disagree. This sounds very similar to the line used when it comes to HG kids and other parents/teachers: "The child reads only because the parents pushed him to do so. My child could be like that if we did the same thing ..."

We are talking about 8 year old passing Calculus AP exam, not 8 year old learning Algebra. Let's face it, you cannot really teach 3 year old more math than he is ready for and even gifted 3 year olds are not ready for too much. I for once do not think my son could get A on Calculus AP exam at the age of 8 and he is really good in math.

Let's give the child and the parents some credits. The kid is brilliant in math. The parents are not pushing him to college. He has lots of time to learn lots of other subjects. That's the beauty of homeschooling that you can go with the flow and forget about a few subjects for a while.

Yes for what everybody said about articles like this. We have no idea what was really said or/and meant.

LMom