great conversation. I am impressed by Magnus & his parents. I'm grateful his dad is "advertising" his achievements because we need to know who's out there--it gives credence to our advocacy (when we say our little kid is ready for ALgebra, it doesn't seem so farfetched to school districts/administrators who have read a dozen stories like this and say maybe kids can handle more than addition subtraction at age 8).

I feel like, in some ways, I quit my job to make my kids my project (i.e. raise them!) just like a lot of house fraus have done and still do. Just because the dad is a man doesn't make it any different to me. Actually I think it's admirable. I love to see men involved in raising & mentoring their children. Maybe Magnus drove his own course of study--asked for more, ate up all the math they could give them.I know we've all felt overwhelmed and that we haven't given these bright kids all that they need or could handle. But M's dad has clearly been successful in helping him go. Maybe it's just because I have strong willed kids, but it's hard for me to believe that dad made the boy do math (or music) if he didn't love it. My kids would give me a few minutes and contrive an escape.

Like Austin said, a 5 (or even a 3 or 4 for that matter) on the AP Calc 3 exam is amazing and he has a full range of extreme giftedness in my mind.

I wonder if he is a DYS. I wonder how cool it would be for math savvy kids to meet him and see how he could connect with them, inspire them.