Originally Posted by KAR1200
I have to say I don't much like the article, but I'm extremely hesitant to take any article at face value.

Agreed, and...

Originally Posted by Dazey
For that very reason, I don't think I"d ever agree to such an article being written about my child.

Agreed!

That's also why the statement about advertising the boy seems troubling to me. Hopefully that was taken out of context or something, but it seems problematic to me to be looking for publicity in that fashion. Why? To what end? How does this help the boy?

I don't quite have a Ph.D., 'Neato--I quit ABD. But I think I'm definitely close enough to say "That's not what I would do, and it sounds like a bad educational policy to skip three major subjects entirely." Frankly, I think someone with a 7th grade education could say as much and be right! wink I'm just sayin'...

And as for friendships...I do think friends of some sort are important. Can people get by without friends in the wilds of the frontier or something? Certainly. Introverts especially. But in this day and age, it seems unnecessary for most people to *have* to do without friends entirely. Perhaps the boy just hasn't found true peers--I think many here can sympathize with that possibility. Or perhaps he's in a too-highly controlled environment with over-involved parents. That would leave me feeling less sympathetic about the situation. I don't know what's true, so I can't judge.

It does remind me that if the press ever wanted to do this sort of article about my son, I should say NO!!!!

Kriston