I wanted to provide an update.

One other thought to add to blackat's - you might also run into teachers or SPED staff etc who don't believe it's possible to be both intellectually gifted and also have a disability. We ran into a few staff who had some very outdated and biased views re what SPED really is and about kids who need SPED services.

Polarbear, yes, we are having this happen now. I don't think they think it is possible to be both, even though I provided various articles for them to read. I don't even know if they are reading it.

is this the follow-up meeting that takes place after the eligibility process where the team decides if your ds qualifies for an IEP?

This is the follow-up meeting that takes place after the eligibility process where the team decides if he qualifies for an IEP.

The OT (and we did finally meet with her) did say she noticed some handwriting issues, and has suggested various accommodations. However, as far as the IEP is concerned, it looks like they will not give it to him. They did agree to a 504, but, sometimes I think the enforcement of a 504 will depend on the teacher he has. It is frustrating. We are having another meeting next week. My child continues to do well on tests etc, but does not always follow the rules in the classroom (by that, I mean, the teacher thinks he is challenging her anytime he tries to explain his point of view. Rather unfortunate). I have been following the other thread 'today's problem' very closely for ideas for my own child.

I will probably post all the accomodations we are asking for tomorrow.

Just completely frustrated with their inability to give an IEP, based on his functional behavior in the classroom (never mind tests etc). And, they seem convinced he has ADHD, and questioned the final diagnosis that the neuropsych has arrived at(the neuropsych has a wonderful reputation, and I believe that the tests she did was very thorough).