Two thoughts.

First, I pray a time comes that every summer families in our shoes look forward to school like "normal" people and fret over where to buy school supplies. It is sad that the families of such gifted kids cannot just "go" to school and get an emotionally safe and academically challenging. It would be nice to think - MAN remember 5 or 10 years ago when ever year was a fight or a painful decision of which imperfect option.

Second, here is my thought about the retired gt teacher... There is a page some where in Ruf's Losing Our Minds that describes a story when a mom expressed her child's ability to the teacher. but the teacher didn't get it or believe it. she later apologized to the family. Sometimes I wonder if we are overly concerned (I say this not having entered a public school yet) - and other times I think people just don't get it. You feel like saying 'hey you know that kid that was on the news for graduating college at 14' ... why can't you believe it doesn't just happen in a nameless town ... it could be standing and staring at your belly button right now.