We are in a very similar position, with DS just finishing first and needing at least a 2 year skip to be meaningful. If homeschool is just not seeming like the way to go right now, I would say definitely try the partial home school option with the skip to 3rd! Any school that offers you a 2 year skip off the bat sounds worth a try. Just for the record we are likely homeschooling in the fall (we're about 90% decided on that - our pretend summer homeschooling is going quite well even though we aren't doing a whole lot).

The college at such a young age thing seems really scary for us too and we are just going to cross those bridges as we get there. Kriston is right - there are always other things you can do to burn up a couple years. I don't see DS going to live at school until at least 17. And we have a number of good schools within 20 miles of us, so he has lots of options locally. We don't have any options similar to your part time/GT option, and if I had a similar option I might give it a try for a year and see how it goes. My son is socially very comfortable at age level (really does well with kids of all ages it seems), so it's not really clear that a 2+ year skip would be great and 1 wouldn't be enough to put a dent in the problem.

Anyway - best of luck with these decisions! Keep us posted!