Blackcat, I'm so frustrated on your behalf. What else do they need to see to prove he needs to be accelerated in math? It's beyond reason.

So far for DD5, differentiation in kindergarten means she gets to help others count and add and build block towers all day. Kindergarten is a two year program here so she also gets to teach the other kids sight words that she "learned" (already knew but had to repeat over and over) last year. She continues to be taught the letter sounds even though she's known them since she was two and she can now read fluently.

I can appreciate the problem DD presents to her teachers. Intellectually she is on par with a grade two student, emotionally she is five, in fine motor she's a four year old.

There is no work sheet that they can easily print out and give to her to meet her needs. Teaching her requires more thought than just looking at the next skill box to check in the kindergarten section of the binder. I think they have no idea how to handle this situation without a new specialized check list provided to them by the board - which they don't have so there's nothing to do. I think this is what they're doing with Blackcat's DS, just giving the tests and checking the boxes because they need their file to be complete.

I don't even think they understand what differentiation means. I know they know it means "different" but they don't seem to connect that the degree of "different" is dependent on the child. They just make up "different" stuff add a number here or there and then call it differentiation!

It is a sad state of affairs and so we continue to afterschool.