Originally Posted by Loy58
When I recently talked to the teacher though, she was incredibly focused on the importance of exposure to all of the grade-level standards and the fact that DS occasionally has made a computation error (and he is already a budding perfectionist - ugh!). I'd hope she reads and understands these new scores, but I'm afraid she might just look at the 99% again and set them aside.

Yep, this is basically what we're getting as well from the teachers. The teacher told me that DS doesn't know how to do a proof theorem with sticks and circles. She said "I bet XXXX (first grade teacher last year) didn't teach him sticks and circles!" I said "No probably not, because he learned place value a long time ago, like in preschool." I think his second grade teacher is actually a bit annoyed that the first grade teacher taught him advanced concepts and not the regular first grade curriculum. I told her that DS already passed the district test for second grade math, which the first grade teacher gave him last spring (he was 99 percent accurate out of 140+ questions!), so she shouldn't need to bother with any of the second grade curriculum, and she said "You keep bringing up that district test, but I was involved in writing that and it doesn't test EVERY SINGLE STANDARD. Those standards might be on the state test!" So basically the teacher was wasting so much class time trying to find the 2 percent or whatever that DS may not have been exposed to, while giving him "logic sheets" maybe once a week when it became too painfully clear that the work was too easy. I put my foot down and the principal, IEP manager, and other district admin got involved, and now he's being sent out of class to work independently but it's obviously still a ridiculous situation.