I wanted to add that as much as it inspires a rant I am on the other hand very sympathetic. I personally don't see how they can expect to meet either of my kids needs via differentiation for many reasons listed above but from discussions with the school/admin it appears that they think it can. It is always brought up as the solution for everything and they are so proud of their amazing differentiation.

This year I'm oddly ok with DS's science teacher that said "I honestly can't teach him anything in science, I think he knows more than I do". I know she's doing the best she can and she has a class of kids to teach. On the other hand, I find it frustrating that they think that adding a digit onto addition problems is actually meeting his needs. The most frustrating part is that they don't have any idea of just how far off this is from challenging him and yet they are so proud of their differentiation.

I just want to yell "I do not think that word means what you think it means" whenever they say the D word.