"there is probably ONE other kid (and perhaps more than one) who can do something other than add single digits in her class. "

I don't know about that statement... we moved to a new district, high socioeconomic, fabulous rankings, every child seems a foot taller than at his last school, all seem to be in training for some unique and unusual talent, etc.

The new (public) school actually brought up the gifted issue with us spontaneously, which is wonderful. I won't go into what they are proposing for DS7 yet, lest I jinx it or it turn out to be one of these empty promise situations I read so much about here.

Anyways it was a shock when I asked "is there another child in his grade with noticeably above level abilities in math?" and the answer was no. And DS is not that far ahead nor particularly fast at math, he is perhaps solidly 1 grade ahead and 2 or even 3 grades ahead in some aspects (though he's uninterested, he could be further along if he had had the interest). But I don't think 2 grades ahead in math is that extraordinary at age 7, it would only mean they could divide and multiply small numbers.

They said there were several above level kids in other grades, just not in his. It averaged out to roughly 1 in 30 kids. I wouldn't have been surprised at his previous school but it was a little surprising to find here in a white collar utopia.

This school does seem to teach about 1/2 grade level higher than his previous school. So I guess noticeably above level means noticeably above this slightly boosted level.

I would normally disagree categorically and assume the school is missing the abilities of some kids in there, but I don't know, I've talked to most of the kids by now and seen stuff they've done etc posted up on the walls... I have no reason to doubt the school. Still it's surprising.