Originally Posted by finca
Because I posted earlier with fears about my DD entering public first grade, I feel compelled to post that her teacher has turned out to be incredible and seems completely committed to adequate differentiation. Sure, my DD has had to sit through the odd activity on sight words or adding single digit numbers, but 90% of the time she's doing interesting and challenging work. This is in a public magnet program with an emphasis on independent study. She was in a tiny private K last year that did little for her, despite a class size of 11.

Her current teacher, while experienced, is new to the district and may have the initiative ground out of her after a while, but for now, we're happy we went this route.

This is really heartening to hear, actually-- I'm glad that there are SOME teachers that really can do more than just "try" with gifted students.

Originally Posted by Polyy
I have no reason to doubt the school. Still it's surprising.

Hmm- well, not if they are using Math Foundations By Pearson (tm).

I think that Val has nicely explained rather frequently what "Math Instructional Materials" are like these days, and the situation is...

not good. So sure. If you just turned your child loose with The Shopping Network on the cable tv, a few old Sesame Street DVDs and a stack of US Weekly magazines, I suppose that they could learn to read using those materials. Probably. With some help, I mean. But it wouldn't be very systematic. Or pedagogically sound in terms of higher literacy.

If you think that I'm exaggerating, believe me, you haven't seen one of these textbooks. Dog's breakfast is putting it kindly.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.