http://www.proteacher.net/discussions/showthread.php?t=295005

I just couldn't stop myself from digging around a little more on that pro teacher site. Found one with a first grade teacher desperately trying to find a way to challenge a gifted student without having him do anything but first grade maths, ie in his case single digit addition, going nuts because she just couldn't find any extension activities, such as strategies for single digit addition, that might challenge a gifted child, but completely refusing to "teach" anything she was going to have to "teach" him anyway a few months later, such as gasp! Two-digit addition...it would be hilarious reading if it were not also so sad.
Note that not one of the teachers responding actually bothers to try coming up with a solution for her specific problem, with the exception of one who suggested having him make up his own word problems for, you guessed it, single digit addition. They all waffle in differentiation speak about menus to choose from, center time, etc...every single one of them skirting around the issue...
Lady, after having put your no doubt considerable powers of mind to the problem of challenging a gifted first grader with single digit addition and having come so far that no, there isn't any way, why not trust this reasoned outcome and try to overcome your deep seated discomfort with having a kid be able to handle arterial above grade level, even material you may not have taught him yourself?
Again, I wonder, is there anything this parent could do?

Last edited by Tigerle; 01/12/15 12:35 AM.