Originally Posted by aeh
Actually, there is a ton of evidence about reading interventions, and it all adds up to OG and LMB for decoding, and lots of practice for fluency.

Thanks aeh - and please pardon my lack of clarity. What I was trying to say was that I found tons of agreement, as you say, around the one intervention (OG/ LMB for reading), but after that... everything gets vague. Everyone agrees that the reading intervention is essential step 1, but insufficient. But what's the next step? What other interventions (not accommodations) are likely to be needed, to access the full curriculum? Almost everything I find talks about how much we need research into the other areas that need interventions - but has little to say about what are the other areas and what we know so far about interventions.

You gave me a great answer a while back on next steps for reading development - and the only concrete information I have yet seen (what would we do without you?).

I'll re-quote you for others following, because it's great info:
Originally Posted by aeh
"OG is excellent for decoding, but there are other programs that help take a student to the next level in fluency, once they've completed OG, such as Read Naturally. Comprehension is yet another level, usually helped most by learning active reading strategies--so more cognitive and executive functioning strategies than anything else. Comprehension also naturally improves as decoding becomes automatic, because this frees up cognitive and EF functions for comprehending, rather than decoding. Some active reading strategies include KWL (know-want to know-learned) and SQ3R (Survey-Question-Read-Retell-Review)."