MichelleC - is English your first language or French? If it's English, I'd seriously consider taking her out of the French immersion school - it seems like it's throwing an extra challenge for you and your dd to both deal with. I'm a huge fan of immersion schools, but for my own dd who struggles with reading, I just feel that it would have been too much.

I would absolutely scribe for my child (I have, I did, and it was a good thing!). The key is to separate out what the goal of the assignment is - if the goal is handwriting practice, no, don't scribe. If the goal is creative writing, putting together a story or reporting factual knowledge, then it's ok to scribe (or to let her start using a keyboard) - in this situation, by scribing, you are removing a barrier, not preventing learning.

I also proof-read my 2e kids' homework (for spelling/grammar/etc) and we check our kids' math homework because they do make a ton of dyslexic/dysgraphic type errors that have nothing to do with conceptual understanding. I emphasize with them that they are ultimately going to have to learn how to do this *successfully* for themselves, but at this point in time, my dysgraphic ds (who is in high school), still misses a lot of silly things due to his dysgraphia as well as makes additional accidental mistakes when he checks his work himself. I first thought that this type of double-checking was over-helicoptering or whatever, but I read a bio of a well-known successful business person where he mentioned that his mother did this for him as a student and then his wife did this for him in college or something and that now as a business person he is still relying on others to proof-read what he writes. It's just part of what comes with having an LD and it's ok. I have a good friend (adult) who's dyslexic and she works in a career that requires a lot of reading - she proofreads everything for herself but she says it took her years to come up with a methodology that works for her, and that it was very individual, not something anyoe could have taught her.

One thing that I think has been really important - it was recommended to us to have our reading-challenged dd listen to audiobooks at her comprehension level, so that she could keep in pace with intellectual peers re what the reading concepts and vocabulary she was/is exposed to. This has actually been a bit difficult for us, for all sorts of reasons, and I can see the impact over time that happens with a child who isn't reading for fun the way her peers are.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Our dd eventually benefited the most from a Lindamood-Bell program, but it took probably two years and tries with different approaches to find what worked for her to significantly improve her reading skills... so it's a highly individual journey.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 11/19/14 12:17 AM.