eek

Our second grader is currently at a charter that allows students to move up or down according to ability. He is in third grade reading (because of his poorer writing skills, though he easily reads at a sixth grade level), and a fourth grade math level.

Since school began, he's been complaining he doesn't "like school". When we ask for specifics, he gives generalities like, "I don't like to work."

We've had conversations with him about how work equals survival; as in, "If you don't work, you don't eat."

He understands laziness is not the way to the life he wants, so his assertion that not liking to work isn't quite correct. But, we are having a hard time teasing out of him exactly what about the work at school he doesn't like...other than writing his spelling words three times each, that is!

I've read that a child this age should "love" school; anything less is a "red flag" that should be addressed.

So, we have a p-t conference soon and want to bring this up. Would someone please tell me what they have encountered in a similar situation when they told their child's teacher that their child didn't "like school"?