[quote=HowlerKarma:
Looking back at that point, we realized that she has always been that way, developmentally-- nothing-nothing-nothing, BANG-- mastery. Like, real "mastery." Adult-level mastery. Nothing tentative or mistake-prone or fumbling about it. I can probably count on one hand the number of spills she took when "learning" to walk. I use quotes there because she has always seemed to be a kid that thought it over for a bit, then let things "gel" and then demonstrated complete mastery of the skill/activity. We call this "quantum learning" because it isn't really a process so much as a binary state-- ground state (not mastery) and the next energy state (mastery).
[/quote]

this is my dd in a nutshell. we gave her a bike a while ago, she practised for 5 minutes before packing a sad and putting it away for a few months, woke up one day and asked to ride her bike, 5 minutes later she was on her own.

at 15 months people would comment on how intense DD was - she didn't speak at all and wasn't walking - in fact she was slow developing across the board so we were taking note. But one thing everyone noticed was how she didn't need to talk - weird but she really didn't need to.

I think it best to treat any child as gifted ie: extend them, get them toys that are just above their ability and also a little below for confidence building. Give them room to play and show them lots of things.