Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
In talking with an educator with a PhD in gifted studies, this is apparently one of those indicators that is SO telling that many educators have never actually SEEN it in a child-- because it is often the domain of very high levels of giftedness.

Long ago, I read an article about making of the music video Scream. :hides in shame: Anyway, the choreographer commented that Janet Jackson learned conventionally, one step at a time with instruction whereas her brother watched and watched until he could do it and he was perfect the first time. I remember thinking, well, that's the difference between ordinary performer (Janet) and gifted performer (MJ).

DD does not function like a gifted performer in most areas. She seems to have talent in a few area but outside those areas, she doesn't go from zero to mastery. Her father went from not being able to hold a pencil to being able to draw a person with 10 fingers and toes. DD(newly)4 started drawing around 10 months and now finally, her figures have hands with fingers but SO says her drawings have more details and have much better artistic quality overall compared to his at the same age. I have done a lot to expose her to art and have created an environment at home in which developing visual art skills is not exactly optional so nurture can make a different, I suppose.

What made me suspect DD is different when she was much younger were her problem solving skills and the joy she finds in numbers, among other things but I simply thought those were her strengths just like everyone else has their own strengths.