My son would sometimes accidentally play the right hand notes with his left hand in piano and he had a little more trouble than the other kids remembering if he needed to exit to the stage left or right in musical theater. He had to make notes in his script. But there are things about him that make absolutely no sense to me if he has a slight problem remembering left or right. He has a better sense of direction than I do and is less likely to get lost in a huge hospital complex that I think resembles a giant maze. If he is having trouble with left and right issues inside these buildings, he is compensating for it really well and he can't tell me how he does it. I have to follow him or ask someone how to get back to the parking lot. It is almost like he inherited his dad's ability with figuring out how to get from one place to another. His dad was in the army and sometimes had to lead troops in the dark where there were no signs or even roads and having a good sense of direction could mean the difference between life and death. I don't understand how it is possible to have a good feel for north, south, east and west but sometimes get right and left confused, but my son does this.

For example, the last time my son did a play, they went from practicing in a room where he was exiting to the north and south and they moved to a stage where he was exiting to the east or west and he had to stop and think which way to go. It looks to me like right and left would be easier to remember than north and south but he is so different from me--and I am supposed to be homeschooling him. It seems like most of what I am doing is watching him figure out how to do things his own way, which I guess is what he will need to do in life. I think he will need to figure out on his own how to compensate for his learning differences.