OHGrandma, is the handwriting the primary issue you're concerned about? Or are there other motor/uncoordination issues? Or, is it dyslexia that's on your mind?

I was just wondering, because motor issues can sometimes be rooted in SPD/central nervous system issues. What I find rather curious is Silverman's hypothesis that a deprivation of oxygen/nutrients in utero or difficult birth seems to be related to a certain portion of VSLs; and yet, the exact same cause has been linked to SPD. But there's no overt correlation between being a VSL and having SPD that I know of. I just find it odd that two authors (Silverman, and Dr. Miller in "Sensational Kids") cite the same possible cause for a certain portion of people who are VSLs and a certain portion of people who have SPD. Maybe it's merely that such an environmental insult results in different harm depending on the individual, etc. (and that doesn't even put giftedness into the mix - I know there's a correlation between SPD and giftedness, but I thought that had more to do with overexitabilities in general) (does anyone here have the faintest idea what I'm talking about? think I better get to bed!)

Incidentally, on the handedness, I am a VSL as well and I am right-handed. DH thinks he's more of a visual learner as well, and he's also right handed, but I think he's relatively evenly balanced between left-brained and right-brained learning. I tend to have some auditory weaknesses that he does not have, though my weaknesses are very mild compared to those of my kids, I think. One of my brothers is left-handed, and when I emailed him the VSL info he said that's definitely him. He didn't do incredibly well in school - not poorly by any means, but his SATs were a lot lower than mine - and incidentally, he is the most successful of all my siblings (at least financially; as in, beyond anyone's wildest dreams). Makes me wonder if he had some sort of undiagnosed LD. I have another brother, a rightie, who is also a VSL. I don't know about the last brother, never got around to asking. But we can't figure out where it came from - my dad was definitely not a VSL, my mom is a little bit (but she's also a rabid extravert). Also curiously, there is a subgroup of late talkers who tend to have various characteristics in common, and left-handedness is on the list (every time I look at that list, all I can think of is VSL). ok I'll shut up now and go to bed... smile