GS8 is mildly distressed that he can't throw as well as other 8 year olds, or his younger girl cousins(4.11 & 7.3) or younger(by 13 months) half siblings(twin boy/girl). He can hit a baseball fairly well, left or right handed equally well. He seldom alternates feet going down stairs. His reversal of letters knocks off about 10% of his grade in language arts, not a big deal since he still gets a solid 'B'. It doesn't seem to affect his reading much since he is past sounding out each syllable to decode a word. Any misreading is corrected immediately through understanding context. His writing is usually sloppy, but he can make it neat when he tries. We have a good chance of correcting improperly made letters as he learns cursive.

I guess I was trying to understand if there is a connection between poor large muscle coordination and mixed dominance, which also might explain still reversing letters. So far, most of what I've read seems to by hypotheses, or anecdotal. And some articles point to the advantage of having mixed dominance. At this point it seems doing things which emphasize whole body coordination, like swimming, is as good as anything.

Last edited by OHGrandma; 03/08/08 08:49 AM.