My boys experiences have been a bit different, but have struggled none the less. Ds7 did great in prek! He had a best friend, his teachers adored him, was well liked and happy. In k, fell apart- knew he was different, not sporty, boys wouldn't play with him or couldn't relate at all to some (like one boy whose nose was continually draining. My son was repulsed by this.) Ds7 is finally happy again in 2nd in a new gifted school with nurturing teachers and peers. Thank goodness!

My little one ds4 is in prek. His personality is looking more like his older brother now- very eager friend, verbally precocious, and sensitive. He does like to be funny, so he does have that. Well, he is having a much harder prek year (same teachers). He only wants 1 friend and she wants to be a free agent. I find him watching for me on the playground or talking to any teacher. He adores his big brother and they play well together. I wanted this year to be great for ds4, but not seeming that way.

One thing I have observed with both my boys, they watch other kids before deciding to approach them. Thus, there are many times when they choose to play alone even though there are age appropriate kids. Maybe your son doesn't want to play with those kids?

Also, a big group of running yelling kids can be overwhelming. Maybe your dc would be happier playing with one child. Maybe the teacher could help facilitate that? That's making me think: last year, ds4's teacher did a lot of scripted play for the classroom making kids play/ be different roles and work together (there's a fire, family in a house, firefighters come and rescue.) The teacher said he used this method for play dates if they kids had trouble finding a common activity.

I'm not saying kids don't have social issues or need help. This prek- elementary years are sooo hard! Hang in there! Keep us posted!