We received a call this year for DS7 (almost eight) re: social issues- quirks, not quite knowing how to engage other children, communicating, etc. He was a lot like how you describe your DC in preschool.
I would add to a category of things to be aware of- our DS has reached an age where he wants to have a "real friend." Having a "real friend" requires a skill set that he is lagging in. We didn't quite realize how far he was lagging until he reached the second grade and the other kids are buddying up and leaving him out.
At this age, we're addressing it by enrolling him in a group designed to build social skills. We're also visiting with a psychologist who specializes in gifted children to help with some of the other traits-- perfectionism, anxiety, sensitivity and intensity. All of these things can hinder social interactions and problem solving skills.
My point, is yes they are gifted and amazing, but at least in my son's case, social isolation makes him unhappy. What they want is preK isn't necessarily what they want when they are older.

Last edited by cammom; 10/10/14 06:13 AM.