aquinas, with small groups of his own peers he does very well. Engages them in play. Talks and shares toys, ideas, etc. He seems very happy. Has two best friends, both age 4. With adults and older kids he does better. Even large groups. He loves parties at friends houses, even adult parties. He will engage them but not as much, since adults are not used to have detailed conversations with a 4 year old.
At the park he is drawn to the older kids. Though sometimes those older kids tease him and call him a baby. He has found a few old friends in our neighborhood that he talks about constantly.

This is what I see: He wants to be around kids his own age, enjoys the play and activity but doesn't want to participate. He likes to watch. He likes to see the kids happy and running around, more observing. He would rather sit in the sun and collect acorns. I call him my little Ferdinand.
His teacher sees: He stands on the side lines, smiling, wanting to play but not joining in. She decides he must lack social skills. Also he figites a lot in class. Can't sit still, needs to play with something. He's bored. His brain is bored and he's 4. I don't think it is right, teachers making 4 year olds sit in chairs for so long. It's hard.

Aeh, we looked into a Montessori school that had the same layout. It would have been nice but it was very expensive. I wish they had this format for the gifted classes in elementary schools.

My DS is already having trouble with bullying. I really dislike the anti bulling campaigns. The world has bullies and I think kids have to get used to it and find ways to handle it. (Please don't think I am anti helping kids, just an observation.) Now that my son is the one being picked on, it's hard. I know he's having some social delay issues, and this makes him stand out, so he's picked on. We are going to start martial arts classes with him to see if it boosts his self confidence.