Hi blackcat- Beast Academy is the elementary school version of the Art of Problem Solving curriculum. I ordered a set of guides and workbooks from Amazon. I started with 3A. Although the concepts so far are familiar to DS7, but the problems are challenging. I discovered through BA that while DS is a strong calculator, he has more difficulty with geometric concepts/shapes.

We did a Singapore math word problem book this summer for (I think around the 4th grade). DS got about 80% correct without instruction. I thought some of the word problems were difficult.

If DS and I had personalities amenable to homeschooling. I would probably do a more structured version of what I do now--

1. Teach elementary math operations myself- with some online (Khan Academy perhaps) help
2. Give DS practice time on ixl and pen/paper
3. Use Singapore and BA as my baseline for harder analysis and applied problems

The only difference I would make is to incorporate more word problems on the specific topic area that we're studying (i.e. fraction word problems if we're studying fractions).

I can tell you that what we're doing is working (or DS is a math wizard, probably both). 178 in broad math on the WJ achievement with applied math as the highest score.