blackcat- I don't homeschool, but we do some math enrichment during the summer and a bit after school.

I use different strategies depending on what we're learning. When there is a new concept, I teach it myself. Typically, I begin an early conversation (for instance while DS7 was working on fractions, we started a decimal and percent conversation), then we work in one or two simple pen and paper problems. Once I'm confident that DS understands the concept, I move to a Kumon/Ixl practice drills.

This summer, I've used a combo of Beast Academy and Singapore math for word problems and difficult analysis. I find interesting/challenging analysis problems that don't require tons of calculation skills and see if DS can solve them.

It doesn't sound like much of a math strategy does it:) My feeling (at least with DS7) is that elementary school math is not difficult- learn the operations and how/why they're used, then spend the remaining time solving harder analysis/word problems that require more brain power and often less calculation skill.

My "non-strategy" is my opinion that DS benefits from the practice of Kumon-like drills- but also higher level analysis skills. Many set curriculums seem strong on one and weak on the other. My dominating priority is numeracy- I ask DS *a lot* does this answer make sense? (e.g. for finding common denominators, is 6/12 and 1/2 the same thing?).