We've had a subscription since last summer and I really like Dreambox.I think it's a good tool for conceptual learning--it's good at the ideas, notsomuch at the procedures on paper, as it sounds like you've already figured out. So I have noticed that DD often has the higher-level concepts down quite well, and can even solve problems in her head, but she doesn't always know how to solve them on paper. So, on that level, I do feel like the assessments are a reasonable estimate of conceptual learning.

FWIW, DD (who recently turned 8) was zipping right along until she got to 3rd?? grade where the story changes and she stopped getting tokens for the carnival. She was not pleased about that. She's meandering through 4th right now; at school her 2nd grade teacher has finally let her start 3rd grade math, which she says is "too easy".

My DS, who is 4.5, also has an account and I really do feel like for him, the assessment is pretty accurate--he's about half way through Kindergarten math in Dreambox, which seems about right.

Last edited by Aufilia; 03/22/14 10:42 PM.