Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
It seems there is a straw man leg of this thread arguing against a radical free-range osmotic thing and by proxy dismissing the whole principle of child-led learning.

I don't know if there is a realistic unschooling path for average parents or average kids, which isn't quite what the focus of the discussion ought to be here.

Can a gifted child have an interest in a specific area and be supported by their parents in pursuing information and training and support in that area? Why not multiple areas, why not within a guided scope of a bigger picture of life goals.

Will a typical teacher be as aware of a highly gifted kid's learning methodology and approach than that child combined with their parent? Experiences here says it's a coin toss or less.

As to the other side of the skill equation, will an expert in a particular field be inherently more competent at teaching that skill? No, pedagogical skills are different than field expertise. It might be better for someone to support their own learning through various sources than to waste time listening to the back of an instructor mumbling in broken English to a chalkboard.

smile Very well said! I enjoyed reading this

As was mentioned - the way our family does unschooling makes other unschoolers cringe. It makes school going families cringe too laugh

haha

That's okay with me - I like to think we are creating the best of what works for my boys. And right now that is we support them in working on what they choose to work on. I will admit that the bit in me that was so very well schooled is happy that they choose maths, programming, genetics, writing skills etc as fun things to work on.

I just want to reiterate that unschooling is really about ensuring you find the fit that works for your child in terms of what they would enjoy to persue and will help them be their best.

AS for how it will translate moving into middle school "levels", I am not too worried. As I said earlier in the thread - unschooled kids can and do choose to attend school for a year here or there, or more focused courses - when it fits with their passions and goals. And then they do any other supportive classes/work that will enable them to meet their goals.

I like that idea. I hope that the end result will be different to my kids hearing as I did that "you are quite suited to do anything you could want to do." I hope they will just naturally follow their passions so that they can enjoy adulthood in a chosen career that fulfills them and brings them daily joy.

If that is as an engineer or genetic researcher great. If it's in finding real solutions to third world problems, great. If its in working with animals, people, children or technology - that's great too.

I hope that I would be secure enough to support them in any direction their lives would take them - as long as they are really happy at the end of the day. (And I am talking about the joy of living, not the "thrill" of temporary happiness found at the end of an illegal pharmaceutical solution)

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)