I would say that we naturally un-schooled until our DS began Preschool. Then we un-schooled after the day ended. We did that after Kindergarten let out for the summer, too. I intend to do the same this summer.

Un-schooling during the summer months is natural and right, imo. My son can explore his interests to the fullest and in so doing, he ends up ahead of the class when the formal school year begins; at least so far.

But that is his/our experience. I can't say what other children experience in the months when the school isn't "babysitting" them. I'm speaking of children who don't have the "luxury" of a parent at home to be a springboard for their explorations. I really wonder what they learn in those months, if anything, since so many schools spend the first 4-6 (?) weeks going over what they supposedly learned the year before.

Wouldn't most here say their children "self-un-school" during summer; even if they send them to a daycare facility where they struggle to continue to extend themselves?

Last edited by Ametrine; 05/25/14 06:35 PM. Reason: Removed esoteric reference